Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hidden Veggie Tacos

I always feel a bit like Clark Kent whenever I see Jack eat something like bell peppers or cabbage. I wish I could rip off the mild-mannered disguise and say "SEE?! You DO like it!" Of course this would be a terrible idea. I don't even like him to be in the kitchen when I cook, because I don't want to hear what I heard today "I don't like that mama, that's yucky. [points to the bell peppers I'm dicing] I want TACOS!" Okay Jack, we're having tacos, don't worry. Now get outta my kitchen kid!

Ha. Little did he know, his beloved tacos (he ate 3 -the same amount as husband ate - this evening) are laced with bell pepper, cabbage, onion, beans, and beef stock. This is my own recipe.

Hidden Veggie Tacos
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, diced
2 bell peppers diced, or 2 cups shredded cabbage
2-3 cups pinto beans (I sprout and cook several pounds at a time and freeze in quart baggies)
1-2 cups beef stock
3-4 cloves garlic, pressed
Cumin, chilli powder, salt, pepper to taste OR your favorite taco seasoning mix

Brown your ground beef, then add the veggies and let them cook til soft. Add your beans, stock and seasonings and allow to reduce. Mash your beans and veg up til you've got an ugly (but delicious) brown mass of "meat". Serve on taco shells or in burrito wrappers with cheese, lettuce, salsa, avocado, guac, sour cream, whatever you want. A side of lacto-fermented carrots goes very nicely with this meal, to add a probiotic element. We enjoyed a little Southern delicacy following our meal, homemade banana pudding with vanilla wafers. Man those kids stuffed themselves.

This is my living room right now. What a mess. This is what they were doing while I was cooking supper and cleaning up afterward. I'm tired and not much in the mood for cleaning right now. Plus there is that massive  pile of laundry (from last week - lol). Ugh. Too tired.

This post is shared with the Pennywise Platter Blog Hop!

1 comment:

  1. Great Idea!! I always used spagetti sauce. Spinach, peppers, zuchinni, squash etc. I'd dice them up or shred them and if they were noticed at all, I'd say oh, those are just spices....

    ReplyDelete

Make my day! Please, leave a comment!